Exploring Buddha's mental yogas of Devotion, Awareness, Love and Letting Go



Saturday, September 11, 2010

Familiarization

The following sentence from "Heart of Compassion" jumped out at me last night:



"Through gradual familiarization, great aims can be easily achieved."

I admit it... sometimes I wonder if practicing twice a day everyday is really doing anything.  Is it making a difference with me?  With others?  With the general energy state of the world? 

But then I look back at where I was almost two years ago.  Two years ago, I didn't have a spiritual bone in my body.  In fact, I was an athiest.  I'd always been drawn to Buddhist writings and teachings, but I didn't desire to be part of a "religion."  Back then, I had this subtle anger that I carried around with me all the time. I knew I wanted to be free from it, but I didn't know how I could do that.  I read self-help books by the dozen, but their solutions never seemed to stick with me.  The subtle anger remained. 

Then I met Lama Jigme.  He taught me some useful tools that are now becoming easier and more habitual.  The more I use them, the easier they are to apply.

If you are new to the path, or are just beginning your journey, I know it can seem like there is so much to learn, and you may wonder if you are making progress.  One day in the near future, you will look back and be amazed at the progress you have made.  Remember, through gradual familiarization, great aims can be easily achieved.  May you continue to have the courage to look unflinchingly at the present moment, use it to benefit others, and then let it go.

2 comments: